Canonist.com is the new home.
2 p.m. -- Rev. Herbert Daughtry and Councilman Charles Barron meet with Sudanese ambassador Omer Manis; 305 47th St. between 1st and 2nd aves.
4 p.m. to 7 p.m. -- Yiddishfest celebrates 350 years of Jewish immigration; Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla.
Blog Your Spiritual Leader on the Weekend
Put up a post about the sermon this weekend, and I'll link it in this post.
McGreevey: The Religious Angle
1) Excommunicated Catholic, for his divorce.
2) Very close to the Jewish Orthodox Union and its kosher certification executive, Rabbi Menachem Genack. Spoke at the organization's annual dinner a couple of months ago. The O.U. has vigorously, vocally and repeatedly opposed gay marriage.
3) Lots of God talk in his speech.
4) His speech seemed reminiscent of that given by the character Charlie at the end of Tom Wolfe's "A Man in Full," which in the book was the result of an education in Stoicism and loyalty to Zoroastrianism. I could be wrong, but need to see the book again to determine.
6:30 p.m. -- The Christian Cultural Center hosts a screening of ``The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till'' with attendees including Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the Rev. Al Sharpton and others; 12020 Flatlands Ave., Brooklyn.
5:30 p.m. -- Lincoln Center out of Doors presents a program of events honoring Saraswati, the Hindu goddess of learning and creativity; north plaza next to the Lincoln Center Theater.
7:30 p.m. -- Jewish leaders hold a memorial service for Ze'ev Vladimir Jabotinsky, a Zionist writer and orator who died 64-years-ago; Lincoln Square Synagogue, 200 Amsterdam Ave. at 69th Street
In Today's News...
How are local Muslims responding to the incoming RNC convention? Apathetically, it appears. "Muslims Disclose Sense of Apathy Toward Confab," my first piece on the religion beat for the New York Sun (subscription required):
Local Muslims have few plans to participate in protests against the Republican National Committee Convention in New York City this month, according to a sampling of area mosques.Some other solid religion reporting in today's Sun:
- Principal of Brooklyn Yeshiva Accused of Money-Laundering.
- One Protest Group Gets Prime Perch, about the Christian Defense Coalition.